How to Get Rid of Mold

Having mold growing in their home is one of every home owner’s worst nightmares. Not only is mold extremely unsightly, it’s also expensive and difficult to remove. Worst of all, mold can be damaging to surfaces and the health of individuals living in a home. Fortunately for home owners all over the world, there are effective ways to have home free of mold.

Types of Mold:

Not all mold is created equal. While all molds are bad, some are much worse than others.

  • Memnoniella: A very common mold in homes, Memnoniella is most often found on wood products and cotton surfaces. This is a very dangerous type of mold and can be extremely toxic to both animals and humans.
  • Cladosporium: Cladosporium is a type of mold that will appear to be a black or very dark green color and will come in the form of powder. Most commonly found on paint, fiberglass air ducts, and food, this mold has the potential to cause skin rashes, asthma, pulmonary conditions, and nail fungus for people.
  • Mucor: Unlike some other types of mold, Mucor is only harmful to individuals who have weak immune systems. This mold is often found in soil and animal droppings, but can survive in dust found in houses.
    Stachybotrys
  • Stachybotrys: A nasty mold, Stachybotrys is black, slimy, and has earned itself the nick name “Slimy back mold.” This is not a mold to be messed with; Stachybotrys can cause cancer, headaches, and asthma. Unfortunately, this mold can be found in homes, typically on walls and on the underside of ceilings.

Clean it Up

If a home owner finds mold in their home, it is important not to panic; although some molds have the potential to have harmful health effects, they can usually be removed and any damage to the home can be repaired. It is possible for a home owner to remove mold on their own, but it is best if a professional does the job.

  • Get rid of moisture: Most of the time, wherever there is mold, there will also be uninvited moisture. Before a home owner can effectively remove mold, it can first be vital to get rid of the moisture that caused the problem in the first place. If mold is caused by water leak, the home owner should clean up any standing water. The water can be cleaned up by mopping or vacuuming; but it’s important that know water is left in the area. If the home owner notices that the area has high humidity levels, it may be best to use a dehumidifier.
  • Prevent the spread: Mold spreads via spores, so it can be extremely important for the home owner to clean any and all rooms thoroughly to prevent further spreading of the mold. Additionally, after each room is cleaned, the safest thing to do is to seal off each room. Cleaning should include thorough vacuuming and dusting; spores travel through dust in one’s home. A room can be sealed by simply covering all vents and spaces below doors with plastic.
  • The fun part: Once any water and or moisture is removed and all rooms are thoroughly cleaned and free of dust, it is then time to remove the mold. If the mold has been on a surface for a fairly long period of time, it is best to mist the area with water to ensure that no mold spores are spread through dry dust. Next, combine soap and water and begin to scrub the mold off of the surface. Once as much mold as possible has been removed, the next step is to clean the surface with a disinfectant to kill off any left over mold spores. After that, it is recommended to clean the entire room thoroughly to ensure that no mold spores are floating around. The next step is to make sure that the room is as dry as possible; if the room is left damp, it is possible for the cycle of mold growth to start all over again.

When disposing of mold and cleaning materials that one has used, it is appropriate to place everything in plastic bags that can be sealed; the plastic bags can be placed in a normal trash can and taken to the dump.

While it is more economical and fairly simple to do, if a home owner feels that they have a mold case that could be potentially harmful to them or those around them, it is best to contact a professional mold removal company immediately.